WARNING: This is a tentative list, by no means exhaustive. See the full ChangeLog contained with the source for a comprehensive list of all changes.
Download links for the latest release can be found on the download page.
WHAT'S CHANGED SINCE 2.3.3Edit
The main reason for this release is to fix a client crash triggered by chat messages; see below. Other than that, there is the usual set of bugfixes.
Server / GeneralEdit
- Bug fix: when a unit was automatically moved to a transporter to save it from drowning or running out of fuel, the transporter could continue to appear empty.
- Bug fixes in unit conversion and upgrade
- Prevent cases where units could be converted or upgraded to a type only capable of carrying different cargo to the current cargo.
- Prevent conversion of a unit to a type that could not exist on the current tile.
- Units of types the owner cannot build are no longer prevented from upgrade.
- Bug fix: quell spurious "No diplomat action possible" message when an ordinary attempt to move a diplomatic unit failed.
- Following on from a fix in 2.3.3, when a border source such as a fortress is occupied by a unit of a nation other than the owner when a ceasefire runs out, ownership now transfers to that of the occupying unit.
- When acquiring a technology such as Philosophy which gives further techs by an unusual route (such as through a hut), all progress toward the current research target was lost. Now it is preserved (although 'freecost' is applied).
- Bug fix: when a city is traded and hence units change ownership, it wasn't checked whether those units provided diplomatic contact to a new nation.
- Bug fix: assertion failure during map generation when no unit in the ruleset satisfied the first role in 'startunits'.
- Bug fix: the tech upkeep with tech_cost_style 2 or 4 was much lower than intended; it only took into account a single tech rather than all preceding techs. As a result, tech upkeep in such rulesets will greatly increase.
- The currently downloadable 'civ2-3' modpack (2.3-2c) thus has tech upkeep disabled. You may want to update your copy.
- An unknown effect requirement type in a ruleset now causes a loading error rather than being silently interpreted as "None".
- When a new nation is created in the editor, city style and leader sex are now set appropriately (previously they were always European and male).
- A hardcoded year of -4000 is no longer sent to the metaserver in pregame, as it is ruleset-dependent.
- One code tidy-up with no user-visible effect.
- The client could crash when your name was mentioned in chat but you had set the 'highlight your player/user name' setting to no color. This could also prevent any connection to a server with the event cache enabled if your player name had been mentioned in the past.
- Older clients can work around this bug by setting a highlight colour in their local options (you may need to start a local game in order to access the configuration dialog).
- Fix possible instability when loading some tilesets.
Tilesets / ArtEdit
- Some internal SVG format fixes in the supplied flags to allow their use in web browsers; this has no effect on Freeciv itself.
- Fix some incorrect inferences about the ability of transported units or units in cities to defend; these are most likely to affect unusual rulesets (e.g., those with ocean cities).
Help / DocumentationEdit
- Minor improvements to user documentation and in-game text.
- Miscellaneous improvements to developer/ruleset docs.
- The Spanish, Polish, and French translations are once more complete.
- Fix various compiler warnings. It's now possible to build Freeciv with GCC 4.7 optimisation level -O3 without any warnings.
- Future-proof against automake versions which ignore ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS.
- Suppress warnings about use of deprecated declarations in debug builds, allowing compilation on for instance recent OpenSUSE.
See NEWS for older lists of changes.