WARNING: This is a tentative list, by no means exhaustive. See the full ChangeLog in the source for a comprehensive list of all changes.
Download links for older releases can be found in the download archive.
Welcome to Freeciv 2.3.0-beta4Edit
Thanks again to all our developers, who continue to work so hard.
WHAT'S CHANGED SINCE 2.3.0-beta3Edit
Server / GeneralEdit
- Fix server crash when an AI-controlled missile failed to eliminate its target.
- Fix server crash with invalid arguments to "/show" command.
- Fix some server memory leaks.
- Fix assertion failures when loading savegames.
- Avoid a spurious warning when loading a savegame of a ruleset with locked options (such as the experimental ruleset).
- Track and display how a given server setting was set.
- When a scenario game specifies start positions, prevent 'maxplayers' exceeding the number of start positions (previously, extra players were allowed to connect in pregame, but some would be disconnected on game start).
- When an airlift can't be completed, the server now issues an explanatory message. (This can happen if airlifting with allied cities is enabled with the 'airliftingstyle' server option.)
- Fix configure/build problems, notably with OpenBSD.
- Windows: scenarios are now sought in "~/.freeciv/scenarios" rather than "~/.freeciv/scenario", for consistency with other platforms.
- Windows: scenarios are now saved in "scenarios" folder rather than working directory.
- Stability improvements.
- Various internal changes which should only affect developers.
- Add a Nation column to the city report, for use by global observers.
- Bug fix: no options for client-spawned servers were being saved.
- Bug fix: when the metaserver does not know the number of human players, the client now displays "Unknown" instead of "-1".
- (Gtk) In the Goto/Airlift dialog, airport capacity information reinstated (it had been removed relative to 2.2.x) and expanded.
- (Gtk) Allow type-to-search when picking a nation.
- (Gtk) Mark redundant/useless buildings with
strikethroughmarkup in more places in the city dialog.
- (Gtk) Bug fix: Gtk error (and possible crash) with "Arrange widgets for small displays" enabled.
- (Gtk) Bug fix: the 'Sell All' and 'Disband' buttons on the Economy report did not work.
- (Gtk) Bug fix: Gtk warnings with certain combo boxes.
- (Gtk) Bug fix: speed up minimap scrolling in some circumstances (particularly with large maps).
- (SDL) Avoid a crash when an attempt is made to use a missing sprite (this can happen with the experimental ruleset).
- (SDL) Large tileset flags could obscure relationships in the nations report.
- (Xaw) Airlifts involving allied cities are now possible (if enabled with the 'airliftingstyle' server option).
- Stability improvement.
- Fix some memory leaks.
Tilesets / ArtEdit
- Improvements to Amplio2 tileset:
- New Fortress and Ruins graphics.
- Use larger flags.
- Minor cosmetic improvements.
- Added "Electric Age" city graphics to the Trident-based rulesets.
- Iraqi flag updated, and more accurate colours in various Arab nation flags.
- Allow more match_with entries in tilesets. This should allow the third-party Freeland 3 tileset to work without a patch.
Gameplay / RulesEdit
- Multiplayer ruleset:
- Sun Tzu's War Academy's effect on veterancy from combat was only applying to units defending in cities, due to technical limitations. This effect has been removed entirely.
- The Apollo Program is once again a "small wonder" (i.e., it must be built by each player before they can build spaceship parts).
- Bring the implementation of Fundamentalism into line with that in the "civ2" ruleset.
- Experimental ruleset: more consistency in which units require gold upkeep after discovery of Corporation (now Musketeers don't, Riflemen and Cavalry do).
- Fix a few broken civil war nations.
- Increase limit on players for europe-200x100 scenario to match number of start positions (37).
- Buildings which enable certain units are no longer considered "redundant" in various situations.
- If the server setting 'citymindist' was changed from its default, the AI was not taking this into account when planning its cities.
- Fix bug that could prevent the AI going for space race victory.
- Fix bug that might cause the AI to use outdated information.
- AI (and building advisor) was preparing defences against sea attack for rivers and irrigated land.
Help / DocumentationEdit
- Include README.ruleset_multiplayer and README.ruleset_experimental in the distribution.
- Remove spurious incorrect text about government effects on the chance of migration from help on governments.
- Minor improvements to in-game text.
- Several invisible changes to assist with translation.
- Updated translations:
- Complete translations: Spanish, Catalan, French.
- Incomplete translations: Polish (99.4%), Italian (75%), Ukrainian (67%), Irish Gaelic (56%).
See NEWS for full lists of changes.