Features • Introduction • Manual • Articles • In The Beginning • Timeline • People • License • Donations
Freeciv is a free turn-based multiplayer strategy game, in which each player becomes the leader of a civilization, fighting to obtain the ultimate goal:
Freeciv is maintained by an international team of coders and enthusiasts, and is easily one of the most fun and addictive network or individual-versus-computer video games out there!
That also means it has very extensive multilanguage support, something rare in games.
- Generally comparable with Civilization® and Civilization II
- Up to 126 players; Freeciv-web supports up to 500 players.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) computer-controlled players
- Internet & LAN multiplayer (TCP/IP)
- Support for a great number of platforms; see Requirements
- Premade maps & scenarios!
- More than 50 playable units and over 550 nations
- Modpack support!
- Internationalization (i18n): translations for many languages available
- In-game help system
- Full Fog of War
- Written in C
- POSIX-compliant and very portable
- Scriptable via Lua
- Port 5556
Freeciv has localisations for over 30 languages. See Interface Language for a complete list and instructions on how to choose one.
Freeciv is Free software and that means a lot! It gives you as a user a great deal of liberty, which proprietary software just doesn't.
A little list of some of the advantages Freeciv has:
- It's free!
- The source code is available.
- You are allowed to copy, redistribute, charge money for & modify Freeciv. For more info on this subject refer to the license.
- A new release every now and then with new and exciting features!
- You can influence the development of the game dramatically!
- It uses the very (free software developers) friendly GNU General Public License.
|Game Anatomy & Modding • Game Manual • Downloads • About Freeciv|
|Features • Introduction • Manual • Articles • In The Beginning • Timeline • People • License • Donations|