Freeciv is a free turn-based multiplayer strategy game, in which each player becomes the leader of a civilization, fighting to obtain the ultimate goal:
Players of the Civilization® series by Microprose® should feel at home, since one aim of Freeciv is to have optional modes (called rulesets) with compatible rules.
Freeciv is maintained by an international team of coders and enthusiasts, and is easily one of the most fun and addictive network games out there!
That also means it has very extensive multilanguage support, something rare in games.
- Generally comparable with Civilization I & II.
- Up to 126 players!
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) computer-controlled players.
- Internet & LAN multiplayer (TCP/IP).
- Support for a great number of platforms; see Requirements.
- Premade maps & scenarios!
- More than 50 playable units and over 300 nations.
- Modpack support!
- Internationalization (i18n): translations for many languages available.
- In-game help system.
- Full Fog of War.
There are different graphics for different needs.
- 30x30 & 96x48 sized tiles, or almost any size you feel like drawing.
- 2, 64, 256 and more colors!
- Written in C
- POSIX-compliant and very portable
- Scriptable via Lua
Freeciv has localisations for over 30 languages. See Interface Language for a complete list and instructions on how to choose one.
Freeciv is Free software and that means a lot! It gives you as a user a great deal of liberty, which proprietary software just doesn't.
A little list of some of the advantages Freeciv has:
- It's free!
- The source code is available.
- You are allowed to copy, redistribute, charge money for & modify Freeciv. For more info on this subject refer to the license.
- A new release every now and then with new and exciting features!
- You can influence the development of the game dramatically!
- It uses the very (free software developers) friendly GNU General Public License.